
So my girlfriend and I decided to go see a movie last week and we both were not interested in seeing any of the huge blockbusters so I did some research and remembered a French film trailer that stuck to my head when I first saw it, and out of curiosity I looked it up and found out that it was already playing at the Lincoln Plaza movie theater.
The movie "Un Prophete" (A prophet) directed by Jacques Audiard is about a young Arab-French man named Malik Djebena (Tahir Rahim) who gets sentenced to six years in a prison that is dominated by the Corsican mob and overrun with Arabs. During his time in prison Malik's status rises in the prison hierarchy due to him completing his missions for the Corsicans which involved drug deals and even murder. As Malik continues to rise in power he is caught between two worlds-being the Corsicans servant while the Arabs continue to remain powerless, or becoming his own boss and regaining his people's trust.
The film never fails to keep you on the edge of your seat and makes you anxious about what is going to happen in the next scene. Although some scenes may be hard to watch due to the brutality the film gets a letter A-grade from me and judging from the applause of my fellow movie goers at the end of the film, I have to say that this movie is definitely Oscar worthy.
great film, baby! i thought the title was the most interesting way to look at the meaning of the movie. cmok!
ReplyDelete-dm